Easy Halloween Cookies Recipe for 2022
Halloween cookies are one of the easiest things to prepare and they are the best way to bring a little party to our home without exaggerating. This Halloween cookies recipe is also the best way to have fun in the kitchen and recreate a real scary atmosphere, the one Halloween needs to have.
It is in fact very simple shortbread cookies cut out using Halloween-specific cookie cutters and possibly glazed and decorated with a horror and splatter theme.
They can also be customized and maybe stuffed with jam, chocolate cream and various types of creams to achieve a truly unique and special effect.
The pastry is the basic one so if you want you can flavor and even “color” using cream or powder dyes to give them an even more gloomy and monstrous appearance.
We leave you the Halloween cookies recipe. Under the recipe, many tips to get delicious cookies and a box with all the directions for decorating these sweets.
Serve these cookies with a homemade pumpkin spice latte and you’re belly will definitely be happy!
- 200 grams of butter
- 200 grams of sugar
- 2 eggs
- 500 grams of flour
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- Heat the oven to 180°C and line a low pan with parchment paper;
- Mix the butter and sugar in a bowl until it forms a cream, then add a little and always stirring the lightly beaten eggs and the vanilla extract;
- Add the flour to the slurry by sieving and kneading, first with a fork and biscuits, then decorating the cakes with your hands, until a compact and smooth dough is formed;
- Spread the dough about 1 cm high on a floured surface and cut it using special shapes;
- Place the biscuits in the pan and cook for a maximum of 10 minutes, or at least until the surface starts to be golden;
- Allow to cool on a tray or on a plate;
- Decorate using one of the biscuit glazes found here and let it thicken well.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
- As for all homemade cookies, these too can be perfectly preserved in a bowl with an airtight lid for a maximum of 2 days depending on the filling being used;
- To obtain less crunchy and more friable biscuits, use baking powder or, even better, baking soda: just mix it with the flour and then follow exactly all the other steps;
- The best way to make these gluten-free cookies is by using corn flour and following the same steps as above. A good alternative is almond flour, but in this case you need to balance out the ingredients since this flour is sweeter than the others;
- If you have malt available, add it to give an even better color to the cookies; for each teaspoon of malt, two teaspoons of sugar must be removed;
- The cookies can be prepared quickly only if the tools used are cold and the hands too: when you are going to knead the various ingredients, in fact, the purpose is not to heat them but to ensure that they blend well without altering the characteristics;
- If desired, the dough for these biscuits can be prepared and placed in the refrigerator, where it can remain for a couple of days before being used. It can also be frozen and thawed as needed.
One of the most fun things when preparing Halloween cookies is the decoration. You have several alternatives to decorate your scary cookies. Also remember that a nice Halloween cookie is also characterized by its shape, so don’t skimp on buying the perfect cookie cutters that will allow you to get really nice cakes to look at and great to eat.
For the decoration you can choose one of these methods, which you will find explained in detail also here:
Egg White Glaze
It is made using 100 grams of icing sugar and 1 small egg white. Simply beat the egg white with a fork to make it more liquid and add two tablespoons of sugar; then always beat with a fork and possibly add more egg white if the consistency of the icing is too hard. It dries in about 1 hour but if your home is particularly hot in 47 minutes everything is ready;
It is the simplest and involves the use of 100 grams of icing sugar and 2 tablespoons of water approx. Just pour the sugar in a small bowl and add 2 tablespoons of water, then start beating with a fork and if necessary, if the consistency seems too solid, add more water in moderation (I calculate a teaspoon at a time). If by chance it should be too liquid, just add more icing sugar (I calculate half a teaspoon at a time). It dries in a couple of hours at least;
It is substantially the same as water frosting but is sweeter. It is prepared using 100 grams of icing sugar, 2 tablespoons of milk and approximately 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract and mixing them all together in a bowl, beating with a fork until it reaches a fairly liquid consistency but not excessively. This also dries in a couple of hours at least.
It is slightly more complicated than the previous ones and it takes 1 egg white, 300 grams of icing sugar and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice to make it. The egg white is whipped with the mixer (without making it too hard) and then the lemon juice is added first and then, a spoon at a time, the icing sugar always continuing to beat. The final result must be a thick and mouldable compound that must be spread almost immediately because it takes a maximum of 2 minutes to harden.
To prepare these simple and quick Halloween cookies, you may need the following tools:
- Halloween Metal Cookie Cutter Set, 18-Piece
- Wilton Icing Colors, 12-Count Gel-Based Food Color
- Wilton Perfect Results Premium Non-Stick Mega Baking Pan
- Wilton Easy Layers Sheet Cake Pan, 2-Piece Set
- Cooling Rack
- Stand mixer: check our selection of the best