Homemade Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte Recipe
Is it possible to make a Homemade Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte Recipe? Short answer: it is. Long answer: it is possible, it’s rewarding, it’s delicious and it allows you to save money as well.
It’s not a mystery that Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte is the drink everyone waits for in fall season and for this reason every year the company releases its biggest hit with a tremendous campaign.
How a Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte Recipe is made?
Well, we can’t say for sure since the recipe is “secret” but we know it contains a good amount of sugar and on the Starbuck’s website is described as: “Our signature espresso and milk are highlighted by flavor notes of pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg and clove to create this incredible beverage that’s a fall favorite. Enjoy it topped with whipped cream and real pumpkin pie spices”.
If you check the nutrition facts you’ll be shocked by the crazy amount of sugar this drink contains: our version contains sugar but only contains natural ingredients, probably missing from the industrial version of this beverage.
The differences between the famous version by Starbucks and the homemade version of this latte are simple to identify: genuine ingredients. If the coffee chain uses industrial syrups to flavor its drinks, using homemade and real ingredients make this latte definitely a good beverage.
The main ingredient is the pumpkin and the peculiarity of this beverage is the fact that it has a strong flavor that, thanks to the presence of ginger and cinnamon, is suitable for the fall season.
A Pumpkin Spice Latte is basically made with:
- Coffee, and specifically Espresso
- Pumpkin Syrup
The milk has to be frothed because it has to feel thicker and creamier; to do so, you need a milk frother, and you can choose a manual or an electric frother. An immersion blender is the easiest way to achieve the foam at home if you don’t have a milk frother. You can skip the foam by simply not using a frother or a blender: you’ll get a classical latte but in this case whipped cream is a must.
The pumpkin syrup is really easy to make: just combine sugar, spices and pumpkin flesh to create a smooth cream, you’ll use for your pumpkin spice latte.
Now, let’s make the Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte at home: simple, quick, cheap and… no more coffee shop lines.
Ingredients for 4 mugs
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 600 grams of white sugar
- 500 ml cold water
- 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of ginger powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons of pumpkin flesh
- 600 ml full milk
- 300 ml coffee
- Whipped Cream (optional)
- Prepare the syrup by mixing the sugar with water and bringing it to low boiling. Once the sugar is melted add the cinnamon sticks, the spices and the pumpkin pulp, continuing to mix on a low flame for 5 minutes;
- Remove from heat and pour in a hermetically sealed glass jar, allow to cool and refrigerate or use it immediately;
- Heat the milk by bringing it almost to the boiling point;
- Pour 2 tablespoons of pumpkin syrup into each large cup;
- Pour hot coffee and milk then blend mixture with an immersion blender until frothy;
- Add whipped cream and serve.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
Homemade Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte Recipe: Tips and Advice
- Although it is typical of the Halloween and October, this pumpkin-flavored latte can be made throughout the winter perhaps with the addition of other spices such as cloves and pepper;
- Once prepared, the syrup stays in the fridge for a month in a sealed jar;
- Whole milk works best to get a frothy latte. If you’re a vegetarian or a vegan, you can use a coconut or almond drink to get more or less the same result;
- You can skip the foam by simply not using a frother or a blender: you’ll get a classical latte but in this case whipped cream is a must;
- This recipe calls quite a lot of sugar but how much you use is up to you and you may also use a sugar substitute.