Chocolate Cake in a Mug Recipe: The Easiest and Moistest Ever
Chocolate cake in a mug is a great invention originating in America, created to satisfy a longing for cake in those who don’t have time and who are used to using the microwave for cooking. Basically, it’s a larger version of a cupcake which can be prepared in 7-8 minutes. Very similar to an oven-baked chocolate cake, it’s more substantial and richer.
The 5 minute cooking time is exactly the same if you use the microwave or oven with only one variation: you need to take care that the cups are suitable for oven baking otherwise they will shatter.
The only precaution necessary when preparing this cake in a cup is to correctly measure the ingredients otherwise the proportions won’t be right and the final result isn’t guaranteed and the cakes won’t cook properly. Of course, every microwave is different, so it’s best to try out the recipe and see what happens and then adjust the quantity of the ingredients accordingly.
This individual cake is ideal for when you want to serve something tasty without the effort. You can also add flavorings or even chocolate chips BUT if you change the ingredients the end result may be different because obviously removing, increasing or adding anything (for example the egg) will change the recipe and the end result.
Learn how to bake the best chocolate mug cake for a lazy evening. Get the recipe for this cake in a mug.
Ingredients for a mug or 2 espresso cups
- 4 tbsps flour
- 4 tbsps sugar
- 4 tbsps cocoa powder
- 3 tbsps milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch of dried yeast
- Pour the dry ingredients into a cup and mix well using a tablespoon.
- Add the milk and oil mixing with a fork until all the lumps have completely disappeared.
- Add the egg which has already been lightly beaten.
- Cook in the microwave for 4 minutes at 700w or in the oven for 8 minutes at 200°C/400°F.
- Serve hot or cold directly from the cup or on a plate adding powdered sugar if desired.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
Total time: 10 minutes
Chocolate Mug Cake: Tips
- You can add aromas or even chocolate drops to taste BUT if you change the ingredients it is possible that the final result will be different;
- DO NOT open the microwave or oven even if the mixture seems to come out of the cup to prevent it from swelling properly;
- Since it is a mini cake, no eggs are required: this means that it is also a dessert suitable for those who cannot eat eggs and derivatives !;
- Always make sure you use a fairly large cup, so as to avoid problems with spillage of the dough;
- Don’t be tempted by the idea of eliminating yeast: if you do, the cake risks being too hard on the outside and, above all, of not being able to rise for good;
- Every microwave and every oven is different so the ideal is to try and try again, calibrating times and sizes based on your appliances;
- You can use the exact same recipe but using white chocolate: since white chocolate is sweeter than black, you slightly reduce the doses of sugar for an excellent result!
A few more ideas for your cake in a mug:
- Add crushed biscuits (Oreo, Digestive, or anything else) to your mix for a crunchy mud cake;
- Substitute dark chocolate with one and add dried fruit into the mixture (eg cranberries, blackberries, etc);
- Assemble your ingredients into the mug, then add a spoon of peanut butter in the center for a wow effect;
- Drizzle salted caramel on top of your cake before serving it.
- Substitute the eggs with cold water if you want to make an egg-free cake in a mug.