No-Bake Greek Yogurt Cake with Strawberries
No-bake Greek yogurt cake means summer, warm weather, the desire for delicious desserts but that do not require the use of the oven: in fact, this yogurt cake is perfect for the summer and if looking at it you are wondering if it is similar to a no-bake cheesecake, the answer is yes with a variant.
To make the no-bake cheesecake in most cases the cream is also used so that the cream will be firm. In the case of this yogurt cake, instead, mascarpone cheese or clotted cream is used, there’s no gelatine nor agar or similar things.
How can we make sure that the yogurt remains compact, even without using other ingredients such as cream? It is not necessary to use gelatine or similar ingredients: just use Greek yogurt, already quite compact, and mix it with mascarpone cheese (or even clotted cream!) to make a compact cream, also quick to prepare.
Is this cake similar to the famous no-bake cheesecake? It is but with a big difference: the no-bake cheesecake usually is made by using cream and cream cheese and very often also gelatine that helps in setting, while in this case we use Greek yogurt and mascarpone cheese in a reduced quantity.
Before the recipe, here a few advice on
How to make a perfect no-bake Greek yogurt cake with (or without) strawberries
- Do not rush or be in a hurry: this is a cake that does not require the oven and this means it has to rest for quite a long time. This cake also lacks any glue that can quickly firm the cream and this means that, to shrink, this cake really takes a long time, otherwise as soon as you remove it from the mold it will completely smash;
- Remember to take out the mascarpone cheese (or the clotted cream) a few minutes before using it: in this way, you will avoid the classic lumps that form in the cream;
- Do not use condensed milk for the cream: the taste is too sweet, the consistency too “rubbery” and in general a yogurt cake with the addition of condensed milk is heavy and very little summer;
- Do not skimp on the processing of the ingredients for the cream: do not beat the cream excessively but make sure that the ingredients are mixed well and that the cream incorporates air in a quantity to be foamy.
Ingredients for a 20 cm tin
- 250 grams of graham crackers
- 100 grams of melted butter
- 400 grams of Greek yogurt
- 250 grams of strawberries
- 40 grams of powdered sugar
- 250 grams of mascarpone cheese or clotted cream
- Chop the cookies coarsely. Pour them into a bowl and add the melted butter. Stir to mix everything;
- Pour the biscuits onto a lightly buttered cake tin and put in the refrigerator;
- Pour the yogurt into a cold bowl then add the mascarpone and mix everything carefully, stirring from the bottom up (as you would if using the whipped cream)
- Add the chopped strawberries and sugar, always stirring slowly
- Pour the cream on the base, level it and refrigerate for at least 24 hours before serving. Serve by adding fresh strawberries.
Preparation time: 15 minutes + resting time