Zucchini Bread Easy Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning we may receive a small commission at no cost if you purchase through a link.
Zucchini bread is definitely one of the best breads one can make at home, together with the banana bread. It’s moist, very easy and has a perfect texture: it’s ideal both in summer and in winter, even if summer is probably the best season for zucchini so the flavour would be really better.
Baking with zucchini may sound very strange and somehow weird but in reality zucchini is mostly made of water that is released during baking and that help in keeping your bread moist.
The mixture of this zucchini bread recipe is not that appealing but the end result is simply magnificent: you’ll need to grate your zucchini, add them to the flour, eggs and the other ingredients and work the magic.
Remember not to peel your zucchini: the skin will literally melt during baking and it will release not only liquid but also vitamins and other ingredients, so your bread will also be extremely healthy.
To grate the zucchini, use a cheese grater and place the shredded zucchini on a cotton towel so to remove the excessive water.
Remember: we want a moist bread not a watery one!
The secret for a perfect zucchine bread?
It’s all in how you will combine the ingredients! Make sure you work the sugar and the butter so to get a creamy mixture and add other ingredients to this mixture. This will allow the bread to be airy and fluffy, not too heavy but still consistent.
I can’t say this is a healthy recipe (this is) but for sure even if it contains sugar and carbs, they’re balanced by a good amount of green vegetable: let’s say zucchini bread is a great way to add some veggies into your family’s diet.
This is my very easy and traditional zucchini bread recipe: it may sound strange to you but trust me, once you’ve tasted it you will be positively impressed and I’m sure you’ll keep baking and baking.
And remember: you can totally and always get creative when baking this zucchini bread!
Ingredients for for a 4×8-inch loaf pan
- 125 grams of soft butter (0.55 cups)
- 175 grams of brown sugar (3/8 cups)
- 2 big eggs
- 4 grated zucchini (2 cups)
- 75 grams of roughly chopped walnuts (2.8 oz)
- 225 grams of plain flour (2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of mixed spices
- Turn on the oven and heat it to 180°C (350°F). Cover the loaf pan with parchment paper;
- Work the sugar and the butter until they become creamy and then add the eggs by using an electric whisker;
- Grate the zucchini and add them to the creamy mix with the chopped nuts;
- Mix the ingredients to perfection with a spatula;
- Mix flour, baking soda, and the spices and add everything into the creamy mixture, continuing in stirring until the flour and the rest of the dried ingredients will be well-bonded with the wet ones;
- Pour the mixture into the pan and bake for 1 hour and 1/4, adjusting according to the oven;
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool for at least 10 minutes before removing the bread from the pan;
- Serve the zucchini bread when it’s completely cold.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 1.3 hours
Total time: 1.6 hours
How to prepare the perfect zucchini bread
- Always use the larger side of a cheese grater to shred your zucchini so to avoid them being too small or too big;
- Do not salt, drain out, or squeeze out the liquid from the whole zucchini;
- Never overdo you mixture: if you whisk the ingredients too much, the result won’t be as fluffy as it should be;
- If you wanna give your zucchini bread a spongy texture add a little bit of sour cream to the mix: it will give some extra flavour to the bread, making it moist and fluffy;
- Use brown flour to give a rustic taste to your zucchini bread.
Easy Zucchini Bread with Olive Oil
If you want to avoid the butter, use some good vegetable oil. To make sure the bread will be soft and fluffy, you need to change the process.
Replace the butter with 1/3 cup good vegetable oil and combine with the wet ingredients (zucchini included). Combine the dry ingredient on a separate bowl then whisk the two trying not to over mix. Baking time is the same.
How to store your zucchini bread
- When your banana bread is completely cool, wrap it in parchment paper and store on the counter for up to 3 days;
- Do not wrap the zucchini bread in cling film: it’s too moist and it will immediately form mold;
- To freeze your banana bread, let it cool completely, wrap it in parchment paper, put into a sealable bag and place in a freezer bag. The bread can be frozen for up to 2 months and has to be defrosted before eating it.
More advice for your zucchini bread
- If you wanna prepare zucchini bread muffins, line a muffin tin with paper liners and fill each cup to roughly 3/4 full. Makes 8 to 10 muffins;
- This bread can be served with jam, any sweet spread, peanut butter but also with butter, cheese cream and, why not?, just alone, like a normal piece of bread;
- With a few minor tweaks, you can make this bread vegan (so dairy free and egg free, too) or gluten free. Just substitute butter with oil (2 tablespoons), and white flour with the same amount of gluten free flour.