Zucchine alla scapece – Fried zucchini with mint and vinegar
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning we may receive a small commission at no cost for you, if you purchase through these links.
The zucchine alla scapece, in English scapece style zucchini, are a typical seasonal dish from Naples and if you think making it is not so hard, the reality is that this is one of those recipes you can have trouble with because of its simplicity.
What does scapece means? Basically is a marinade made with vinegar and it helps vegetables but also fish and meat giving them an amazing smell and flavor as well.
The zucchine alla scapece are also peculiar because of the presence of the fresh picked mint which is the final touch to a really simple yet rewarding recipe. The only problem with the zucchine alla scapece is that you won’t stop eating them!
What you need for 4 portions of zucchine alla scapece
1 kg of zucchini
15 mint leaves
1/4 of glass of white wine vinegar
1/4 glass of water
1/2 clove garlic
Extra virgin olive oil
How to make the zucchine alla scapece
1. Cut the zucchini into 3-4 mm thick rounds after having rinsed and dried them. Sprinkle with salt and let stand for 1 hour so that they lose the vegetation water. After the hour, resume the zucchini, rinse and dry with a cotton cloth.
2. Fry the zucchini in a pan with extra virgin olive oil and then, when golden, drain and dry with paper towels.
Boil water and vinegar and chop the garlic.
3. Pour the zucchini in a bowl and season with the chopped garlic, the mix made with water and vinegar and the mint leaves. Salt and put to rest for a couple of hours then serve the zucchini alla scapece.
Preparation time: 15 minutes + rest
Tips and tricks for making the zucchine alla scapece
1. Always drain the zucchini to make them lose the water. You can also put the zucchine on a cotton cloth and make them rest under the sun for a couple of hours;
2. Try not to fry the zucchine with frying oil because if you use good extra virgin olive oil the flavor will be much better;
3. You can prepare the marinade frying the garlic in a small amount of extra virgin olive oil then adding water and vinegar. The marinade has to be poured over the zucchini in the same way as above;
4. Letting the zucchini rest for 24 hours allow the flavor to intensify so try not to eat them before 24 hours.
5. You can store your zucchini in the fridge and eat within 4 days;
6. You can also prepare your zucchine alla scapece in time for winter time: just put them into jars and leave the jars in a cool and dark place for up to a year.