How to Make Whipped Coffee (Dalgona Coffee)
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning we may receive a small commission at no cost for you, if you purchase through these links.
Wanna spice things up and bring your latte to a different level? This Whipped Coffee Recipe will definitely help you!
What is whipped coffee? It’s a coffee cream made by whipping instant coffee with sugar and water: the foam is then spooned over milk. Easy peasy!
Lately, whipped coffee has gained fame and popularity. It’s now also known as “Dalgona coffee,” giving its resemblance to a South Korean honeycomb toffee confection called “Dalgona.”
It’s such an easy and visually amazing recipe, that it is taking the Internet by storm and gaining popularity day after day.
Also known as “coffee stirred 400 times“, this whipped coffee also resembles our very Italian coffee cream, made by whisking sugar, cream, and espresso. The most significant difference is that creamy coffee is a drink itself (more on the spectrum of a dessert) while this whipped coffee is used as a topping for milk. Whipped coffee is similar to the Greek frappé.
This is the basic recipe + video to make whipped coffee at home: tips, tricks, video, variations, and answers to the most asked questions after the method.
Ingredients for 2 servings
- 4 tablespoons granulated instant coffee
- 4 tablespoon sugar
- 4.5 tablespoons hot water
- Combine all the ingredients into a bowl;
- Whip by hand or with a mixer until the mixture turns from foamy to frothy to creamy;
- Spoon the cream over cold milk in a glass filled with ice or over warm milk for a hot drink;
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 0 minutes
Total time: 5 minutes
How Do You Make Whipped Coffee
Making this whipped coffee is easy, but you can simplify the process even more by using specific tools you may already have in your kitchen:
- Electric Hand Mixer: this is by far the best method, and it takes only 3 minutes to get the right consistency;
- Stand Mixer: this method only works if you’ve to make a big serving otherwise the bowl and the accessories are way too big (stand mixers are amazing, just probably not that useful in this case);
- Small Blender: it works if you give it little pulses otherwise, the mixture heats up and the foam doesn’t form.
- Mason Jar/Shaker: it takes quite a lot of time and effort. Definitely not recommended, also because the result is a less creamy coffee compared to the two methods above;
- Small Whisk: Same as for the shaker, it can take a lot of time and effort. If you want to do it properly, you should whisk about 400 times. A fork won’t do the job correctly.
Can I Add Flavour to My Whipped Coffee?
We’ve tried and tested a few flavors and, even if we still like the basic one, these are recommended or at least to try:
- Mocha: add one teaspoon of cocoa powder every 2 tablespoons of instant coffee;
- Vanilla Extract: add one teaspoon of the vanilla extract (this works amazingly) every 2 tablespoons of instant coffee;
- Salt: add a pinch of salt to resemble the flavor of salted caramel.
Tips and Tricks for the Perfect Whipped Coffee
- You can make your Dalgona coffee in advance by 1-2 days and store it in the fridge. If you notice it starts to get watery, just whip it a bit without adding any extra ingredient;
- You can freeze your whipped coffee in cube trays and use to give flavor to your cakes, your latte, your coffee;
- Use a small bowl to get the foam: the biggest the container, the harder it is to get the foam if you’re working with small quantities.
Whipped Coffee Dalgona Coffee Video Recipe
Whipped Coffee Questions: Commonly Asked Questions
How long does whipped coffee take?
Using a hand mixer, it takes between 3 and 5 minutes to get creamy. If you make it by hand, it takes 10 minutes (even more)
What kind of instant coffee should I use?
Any granulated instant coffee works for this recipe.
Can I make this whipped coffee with espresso
Sure, you can. Just avoid using water and whip the espresso with the sugar. You’ll get the same result, and possibly even a better taste.
Can I make whipped coffee without instant coffee?
You can by using espresso! Grinding coffee beans to get coffee powder doesn’t work that well, because it’s too strong and it’s not meant to dissolve when it gets in contact with water. We do not recommend making whipped coffee with coffee grounds.
What sugar should I use?
Any granulated sugar works for this recipe. You can also use stevia or any sugar substitute. Maple syrup also works, but it can be way too sweet.
Can you make whipped coffee without the sugar?
You can! Use refined free sugar such as stevia or erythritol and you’ll get the same result.
How long does Dalgona foam last for?
It lasts for hours! Put it in the fridge, and you won’t notice any difference.
Can I use whipped coffee for my desserts?
Sure, you can. It works very well with every sponge-based cake, with banana bread, ice cream, and also with croissants!
We hope this whipped coffee recipe becomes a family staple! Have fun!
[This post contains affiliate links, which means that we may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through our links]