Creamy Limoncello – Homemade Crema di Limoncello
Crema di limoncello, or creamy limoncello, is an easy and amazing Italian drink you can make at home with my recipe.
Limoncello is one of the favorite Italian drink and you can find a really nice one in Amalfi Coast but not all over Italy because it’s definitely a regional specialty. A good way to use lemon instead of making limoncello is making a fantastic crema di limoncello, or limoncello cream, which is not light as the limoncello but it’s very very tasty and it’s much more for female drinkers.
It’s a typical summer recipe and same as for the limoncello it is made everywhere in Italy but you can find a real original one only in Amalfi Coast and in some cases in Naples. Easy to make, you only need good and organic lemons and a lot of time and patience which will be rewarded at a latest stage.
Even if it similar to a cream, remember it contains alcohol and it’s not suitable for children; it has to be drunk after a meal or also to accompany an ice cream.
Full disclosure: I always get my lemons in the Amalfi Coast. If you live in a sunny place, you probably have amazing lemons to use. If not, try to find the best possible even if they will cost quite a lot. A limoncello and limoncello cream needs good lemons and you can’t do without them.
Creamy Limoncello: ingredients for 2 liters
- 1 liter of pure alcohol at 95 Â°
- 1 liter of whole milk
- 16 medium to large lemons, untreated
- 1 liter of fresh cream
- 2 vanilla beans
- 1.600 grams of sugar
Creamy Limoncello: directions
- Wash the lemons, wipe them with a cotton towel and, using a vegetable peeler, remove peel so as not to damage the white. Chop the peel by cutting it into thin strips;
- Take a large glass container with lid, pour the lemon peels and add alcohol, placing this mix in a place away from sunlight to marinate for 1 month;
- At the end of the month, prepare the cream by boiling fresh cream, milk and vanilla. Once cooled, add the sugar, stirring so that it dissolves completely. Remove the vanilla and allow to cool completely;
- Filter the alcohol mixture by removing the peels and then add the cream to alcohol, mix everything well using an aluminum spoon and bottle;
- Put in freezer and drink after at least 10 days.
How to make the best crema di limoncello ever
- I use less than half of the sugar used in the traditional recipe but if you want to follow the original dose, you should use 2 Kilos of sugar instead of my 1.600 grams;
- Never use vanilla extract or vanilla powder but only vanilla beans;
- Limoncello cream can be stored for about a year in a freezer;
- Be sure to leave room in the bottles for the limoncello cream to expand when it freezes;
- Serve in chilled glasses or use the creamy limoncello to add flavor to cakes and sweet treats.