Chia seeds: benefits, nutritional facts and calories
Chia seeds are one of the biggest trends of the moment despite having been regulated in 2009 by the European Union for its usage in the food industry. The reason for their fame is tied to the much benefits they bring to our body and also to their versatility that makes them very easy to use and suitable for many different uses.
Chia seeds: properties
Chia contains many elements that are good for our health:
- Omega 3 (especially alpha-linolenic acid
- Omega 6
- Omega 9
- Insoluble fibers
- Iron (three times more than spinach)
- Potassium and magnesium (twice as the bananas)
- Calcium (five times more than the milk)
- Antioxidants (quercetin, kaempferol, caffeic acid, chlorogenic acid)
- Vitamin C (seven times more than oranges)
Chia seeds: Semi di chia: nutritional values per 100 grams (25 grams recommended daily)
- Kcal 486
- Proteins 16,5g
- Carbohydrates 42,1g
- Fats 30,7g
- Fibers 34,4g
Benefits of the chia seeds on our body
- Increase the levels of Omega-3 with positive results in the case of diabetes, heart disease, arthritis and cancer;
- Reduction of the insulin levels in the blood and improve blood glucose levels;
- Reduction of blood pressure that favors heart attacks and heart problems;
- Increased intake of fibers in the body that help regulate bowel functions;
- Adjuvants against aging and free radicals;
- Increase the sense of satiety and can help in loosing weights; also, the fiber absorbs large amounts of water and expands in the stomach slowing the absorption of food.
Chia seeds: contraindications
No particular contraindications have been noticed but it’s advised to take maximum 25 grams of chia seeds every day to avoid intestinal problems.
How to use and store the seeds
Versatile and crisp, the chia seeds are great if added to salads but also in the morning cereals, in ice cream and fruit juices and vegetables as well. They are tasteless so they work well with everything. The chia seeds can be stored in an airtight container and last for years without losing properties or become rancid.