Panettone Bread and Butter Pudding
Bread and butter pudding with panettone it’s one of the easiest recipes you can make to revisit an Italian tradition in an English way. One of the best recipe ever, easy to make and loved by the entire family, able to create a Christmas feeling and a smell which will stay in your home for a long time.
The result is a creamy cake with a simple custard you will die for. No butter needed as the panettone cake itself is made with a lot of butter and it will release the grease while cooking so you don’t need to butter up your baking dish at all.
General advice to make a perfect bread and butter panettone
- If it lasts put into the fridge then heat on a low shelf in the oven putting a deep roasting tray filled with boiling water at the very bottom of the oven;
- You can also use the pandoro to make this recipe but you will need more custard cream as the pandoro is less greasy than the panettone;
- You can use every kind of Christmas cake;
- To make the panettone absorb more liquid you can also soak it into half of the custard for 1 hour then pour over the remaining custard and cook into the oven.
- It’s also possible baking the panettone bread and butter in a bain-marie for a smoother- textured custard but in this way, you will lose all the crispiness on top.
Ingredients for a 27cm pan
- 6 slices of panettone or Christmas cake
- 250 ml milk
- 2 eggs
- 70 grams of sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Place 3 slices of panettone on the bottom of the pan.
- Beat eggs, milk, sugar and cinnamon and pour half the liquid on the slices of panettone.
- Add also the other three slices and wet with the remaining liquid mixture.
- Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon.
- Place in a pre-heated oven at 180°C for 50 minutes or otherwise until the outer surface becomes compact. Switch off and allow to cool inside the oven with the door open.
- Serve warm or cold with vanilla ice cream or without.
Preparation time: 1.5 hours
Cooking time: 50 minutes
Total time: 2.3 hours
[Pics by Giuseppe]