9 natural remedies to get rid of bad smells in your fridge
If you are looking for natural remedies to get rid of bad smells in your refrigerator, this is the perfect article for you. In fact, we have put together a series of useful tips to help you keep your fridge clean and fresh, recommending natural products that will help you with this. this regard. You’ll also find advice on natural products that you can buy online that will help keep your fridge smelling, tidy and sanitized.
- Why is our fridge smelling bad
- How to Get Rid of Bad Refrigerator Smells
- How to prevent odors from forming in the fridge?
- How to clean the fridge?
- How To Organize Your Fridge Properly
- Other remedies to get rid of bad smells from the fridge
Why is our fridge smelling bad
Sometimes just a little fish left in the fridge for a few days, meat with a strong taste and smell or vegetables that have gone bad will give the refrigerator a bad smell. At other times, the mechanical and plastic parts of the refrigerator could give off bad smells, especially if you forget to clean and sanitize them.
How to Get Rid of Bad Refrigerator Smells
If we can’t avoid bad smells because sometimes they just happen, we can try blotting them to get our refrigerator back as good as new without using chemical remedies. So here are some natural remedies to remove bad smells from the refrigerator and how to clean it properly.
1. Baking soda
This remedy is always valid and also cheap: just take a glass, fill it with baking soda and place it in a corner of the refrigerator. The powder will absorb odors, slowly purifying the whole area.
It performs exactly as the bicarbonate but since vinegar has a very peculiar smel it should be used in a much smaller percentage. For a medium sized fridge just half a glass to obtain the desired effect.
Just cut the lemon into slices and place in a bowl in the fridge. The absorbency of the lemon will do away with the bad smells but the lemon has to be changed at least once a week.
Peeling a potato and putting it in the fridge to get the effect of eliminating all odors from the refrigerator with a premise: the potato acts as absorbent therefore it should be changed every 2-3 days and kept in the fridge until the smell goes away.
Just take a lemon or an orange, cut it in half and put in a good number of cloves. At that point the citrus goes placed in a refrigerator until it starts to dry out.
Exactly like potatoes, oatmeal absorbs odors if stored in the refrigerator in a aluminum or ceramic bowl.
7. Coffee Beans
The smell is eliminated in a few days even using coffee beans scattered on the various shelves of the refrigerator.
8. Active Carbon
Take activated carbon, place it in a bowl and put it on the top shelf of the refrigerator. If you can you should arrange coal on each shelf for a faster effect.
9. Vanilla extract
Soak a cotton ball in vanilla extract, place it in a small bowl and let the vanilla beginning to give off its odor killing all the others.
How to prevent odors from forming in the fridge?
To avoid bad smells, it is good to follow these measures:
- Store food in airtight containers;
- Always check meat and vegetables to make sure that they are still good to eat;
- Once a month clean seals to prevent bacteria creeping and creating bad smell.
How to clean the fridge?
Never use any chemicals but instead use a solution of water and baking soda or vinegar and water; in the first case the proportion is 50-50 while in the second case 60% must be water and 40% vinegar. If you love strong perfumes you can use natural vanilla extract or almond diluted in warm water in proportion of 40% of water and 60% of vanilla/almond.
How To Organize Your Fridge Properly
A good organization of the refrigerator helps reduce the possibility of bad smells forming. In our article on how to organize the fridge in the best way we have collected a series of useful tips for arranging food inside the fridge and which we summarize here:
- Upper shelf: cold sweets, butter, cheeses, and yogurt.
- Middle shelf: cooked foods, charcuterie , and sauces.
- Lower shelf: meats, fish, and raw foods.
- Drawers: fruit and vegetables, after being washed and cleaned.
- Front door: drinks and sauces.
Other remedies to get rid of bad smells from the fridge
There are other remedies that not only eliminate odors from the refrigerator but also prevent them, without affecting the quality and taste of the food. Here are the ones we recommend:
- Bamboo Charcoal Air Purifying Bags: These bamboo bags are the best choice for clean air and odor removal. It filters and purifies the air from bacteria, allergens, mold, chemicals such as benzene, ammonia and aldehyde form and refreshes the air in the house, acts as a smoke absorber for a healthier and fresher environment. It is fragrance free. Available at Amazon.
- Arm & Hammer Baking Soda Fridge-n-Freezer Odor Absorber: Absorbs and deodorizes food odor while helping keep food tasting fresh and last longer. Available at Amazon.
- Arm & Hammer Fridge Fresh Refrigerator Air Filter: this filter eliminates odors so foods taste fresher longer. Super grip suction cup adheres anywhere to get the baking soda up into the air flow and closer to the source of smells. Available at Amazon.
- Innofresh Fridge-It- Refrigerator Deodorizer: The naturally activated charcoal highly absorbs, traps, neutralizes and eliminates tough smells and odors. It deodorizes up to 6 months. Available at Amazon.