How to Organize Your Fridge Properly
Traditionally, the refrigerator is of the messier places in a house: even if we try to keep it in order, the chances of doing it constantly are very few. Organizing your fridge properly is fundamental to correctly manage the food and to prevent it from going bad. In this guide, we will give you tips and tricks on How to Organize Your Fridge Properly and what are the essential accessories you need to make sure your refrigerator will always be organized.
- How to organize the refrigerator efficiently
- Rules For a Proper Use Of The Fridge
- Foods That Cannot Be Stored In The Refrigerator
- The Best Accessories to Organize Your Fridge Properly
- How to avoid bad smells in the refrigerator?
How to organize the refrigerator efficiently
The best way to efficiently organize your fridge and the products it contains, it’s by following a few safety rules that will prevent the food to get spoiled.
In fact, placing food on a shelf or another has an impact both on its conservation and on the energy efficiency of the appliance: each shelf of the refrigerator has a very specific purpose and must be used for a certain type of product, based on how close it is to the refrigeration vent.
Let’s see together how to organize the shelves of a refrigerator to maximize the shelf life of foods:
This is where cold sweets, butter, cheeses and yogurt go.
This is where cooked foods, charcuterie and sauces should be placed.
It is here that meats, fish and raw foods find their place.
Ideally, the fruit and vegetables should be placed in the drawers at the bottom, after being washed and cleaned.
This is where drinks and sauces go. Eggs usually have their own space and even if you never do, they should be left in their container to avoid contact with other foods.
Rules For a Proper Use Of The Fridge
- Do not overfill the fridge or it will consume an excessive amount of energy: in fact, if the fridge is too full compared to its capacity, the refrigeration vent cannot work properly and since it is unable to cool the whole space properly, it uses more energy to do it.
- To prevent the food from spoiling, use a temporal arrangement: put the “older” products to be consumed earlier on the front, so you will not have problems with waste.
- The refrigerator operates at a constant temperature (which can normally be regulated) so it is always good to store leftovers only when they are cold to avoid compromising the existing temperature.
- For the same reason as above, keep the refrigerator open as little as possible and periodically check the seals to see if there are any leaks that may have an impact on the overall temperature.
Foods That Cannot Be Stored In The Refrigerator
There are foods that cannot be kept in the fridge because they lose their characteristics and can compromise the other foods that must instead be stored in the fridge. These are some of the foods that don’t go in the fridge:
The Best Accessories to Organize Your Fridge Properly
Many of the latest generation fridges are sold with a series of integrated accessories that make them more functional and more orderly, for example the shelf bottle rack.
However, it is possible to customize a fridge to make it more efficient by using a series of useful, practical, and easily washable accessories that allow us to structure the various shelves in a more orderly way so as to best use this appliance for storing food and drinks.
1. mDesign plastic container
A transparent and resistant plastic container in various sizes. It is ideal for storing both small foods and bottles and jars. It is perfect to be placed on the middle and lower shelves. It resists temperature changes and can be easily cleaned with water and vinegar.
2. Rubbermaid FreshWorks Food Storage Containers
Three containers where to store food to keep it fresh and safe. Equipped with a vent filter that regulates the flow of oxygen and carbon dioxide.
3. Dualplex Liner for Fridge
This fridge mat is perfect for vegetable drawers and shelves where meat is stored. In fact, it is designed to retain moisture and absorb drops; the air circulates throughout the drawer to prevent fruit and vegetables from spoiling and staying fresh longer.
4. SimpleHouseware Can Dispenser
This can dispenser holds 12 standard size 12 oz soda cans and small size food cans. It’s stackable and can be used inside the fridge to keep cans cold.
5. HapiLeap Pull Put Organizer
If you don’t like classic containers, this retractable organizer is perfect: it is equipped with pliers that allow you to hook it to the various shelves, making sure that the space inside the fridge doubles. The retractable system makes these organizers excellent for those who do not like spaces that are too crowded.
6. Greenco Stackable Fridge Containers
A set of 6 organizing storage bins to maximize storage space in your fridge. Containers can be stacked vertically to maximize storage space in small spaces. Use multiple to create a custom storage system or stack side by side.
7. iDesign Plastic Egg Holder
Even if the side space of the refrigerator is usually reserved for eggs, to prevent them from coming into contact with other foods, it is good to use a special container to put in the fridge, on the middle compartment. This contains 21 of them and is 100% waterproof.
8. Hutzler Cheese Saver
The cheeses should always be stored in a special container, both to prevent them from contaminating other ingredients also in terms of smell which are contaminated in turn. This is perfect for storing all types of cheese, it is visually nice, and equipped with a grill that guarantees maximum hygiene.
How to avoid bad smells in the refrigerator?
To keep your fridge clean, clean it with water and vinegar, and use a fragrance-free odor remover that also helps avoid food contamination. Find out more about how to get rid of bad smells from the refrigerator on our article:
If you want to try fridge odor removers, this is the one of the most loved, used, and efficient:
MOSO NATURAL Air Purifying Bag for The Refrigerator: these activated charcoal odor absorber bags helps to maintain a fresh, pleasant-smelling, and healthy fridge. It absorbs excess moisture, and odor molecule.
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links, which means that we may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link.