Tomatoes stuffed with tuna: hot and cold recipe
If I say summer, at what do you think about? Forget about the sun and the sea, let’s talk about food: watermelon, fish and vegetables. Among them, tomatoes stuffed with tuna which can be eaten hot or cold.
This recipe is really easy to make and in some ways is Italian or Mediterranean because on a good summer the tomatoes are always juicy and really red and it’s a pleasure to eat them in every single possible way.
What you need for 4 people
8 big red tomatoes
8 basil leaves washed
4 anchovy fillets in oil
300 grams of tuna
12 pitted black olives
1 tablespoon capers
Extra virgin olive oil
Breadcrumb as needed
How to make the stuffed tomatoes
1. Blend the drained tuna with the anchovy fillets, the olives and the capers adding extra virgin olive oil as needed to prevent the mix will be too dry.
2. Remove the cap from the tomatoes and set aside. Empty the tomatoes being careful not to break the shell, salt and put them aside.
3. Add half of the pulp of the tomatoes to the tuna mixture, mix well with a spoon, add salt and pepper as needed and set aside.
4. Fill the tomatoes with the mixture already prepared, sprinkle the surface with a few breadcrumb and place the stuffed tomatoes in an oiled baking dish.
5. Close each tomato with its shell and bake in a preheated oven at 180°C (356°F) for 15 minutes making sure the tomato does not dry out too much. Remove from oven, let the tomatoes cool and serve.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Stuffed Tomatoes with tuna – Tips and Tricks
1. If you have good and fresh tomatoes do not cook them but, once filled, leave them in the refrigerator up to 15 minutes before serving or fill them immediately before serving.
2. If they last once cooked, you can keep them out of the refrigerator for a couple of days and heat them in the oven adding a little hot water into the pan. If they last when cold keep in the refrigerator for 24 hours after preparation.
3. To give a different taste to the tomatoes, salt them and set aside for at least 30 minutes so that the tomato will soak the salt and will taste even more good.
4. For more fillings have a look at this beautiful Pinterest Board.