Prêt-à-Portea: the afternoon tea at The Berkeley Hotel, London
Have you ever heard of the Prêt-à-Portea at The Berkeley afternoon tea at The Berkeley, a luxury hotel in Knightsbridge that has delighted guests for over a hundred years and for 10 years is pleasing people interesting a fashion afternoon tea. The Berkeley’s designer afternoon tea is inspired by the themes and colours of the fashion world and it always takes inspiration from artists, designers and local celebrities involved in fashion and art.
Over the years the team at The Berkeley have teamed with fashion designers from all over the world, included Manolo Blahnik, Jimmy Choo, Dolce & Gabbana, Jason Wu and Simone Rocha.
The result is a selection of miniature savoury skewers, taster spoons, canapés and tea sandwiches to be accompanied by tea, coffee and of course champagne.
The Prêt-à-Portea collection features, among the others:
- Dolce and Gabbana’s duo of blackcurrant bavarois and star anise panna cotta, topped with chocolate owl dress design.
- Manolo Blahnik’s Hangisi quintessential pointy toe stiletto ginger biscuit.
- Burberry’s classic trench coat chocolate biscuit with creamy royal icing.
- Jimmy Choo’s glittery gala pointed-toe shoe velvet praline cream cake with hazelnut croquant and sweetheart bow.
- Lanvin’s almond sponge, honeycomb and chocolate mousse draped with a light meringue ruffle.
- Moschino’s blood orange Victoria sponge ‘yellow M’ handbag encased in red chocolate.
The menu of the Prêt-à-Portea at The Berkeley changes every 6 months and it’s not only a matter of apparel but also the techniques used change to make sure the afternoon tea is well adapted to the contest.
The afternoon tea at The Berkeley can also be adapted in a gluten and nut free form but it’s necessary to mention any dietary requirements at time of reservation and with at least 24 hours notice.
Together with the afternoon tea, the chefs have also wrote a book, High Fashion Bakes & Biscuits, which showcases a collection of over 20 recipes and baking techniques all tried by Head Pastry Chef Mourad Khiat which mission is to combine style with substance.
Prêt-à-Portea at The Berkeley comes to Dublin
From Saturday, 28th January to Sunday, 5th February 2017, The Merrion Hotel in Dublin will host the The Berkeley‘s legendary fashion afternoon tea, Prêt-à-Portea, by adding the creations on the menu after the team in London has created two additional couture cakes inspired by Irish fashion designers, Louise Kennedy and Orla Kiely. There will two sittings every day at 1.30pm and 4.30pm at available at €45 per person; for €58 you can also bring High Fashion Bakes & Biscuits home with you.
[Pic by Giuseppe. Views are solely mine even if invited to the event]