Easy Homemade Potato Soup Recipe
This easy homemade potato soup recipe is totally amazing! It’s pretty quick and easy to make, it’s nice and not creamy, screams Italy and it’s really delicious.
In fact, this potato soup is from Italy, specifically Rome, where it’s called “pasta and potatoes” because none of the ingredients are blended and you can taste every single piece of vegetable and pasta in your mouth. It’s such a tasty dish, we love to make it when it’s cold outside and we need something cosy and comforting.
No flour is used in the making of this soup and this means your biggest task is to find the best pasta available near to you, the best vegetables and the best bacon. And if you want to add more vegetables, mushrooms are perfect.
How to make our potato soup
In order to make sure you get the right consistency, you need to follow a few steps:
- First of all, dice and then sauté with the celery and the onion
- Then, add the diced potatoes and some broth. Let it cook until the potatoes are soft,
- Add your pasta and let it cook.
If you follow these easy steps, your easy homemade potato soup recipe will be amazing!
What type of pasta should I use for this easy homemade potato soup recipe?
We recommend short pasta shapes, ideal for soups: we like to make ours with short tubular pasta such as anelli and ditali. If you have several types of remaining pasta, all with the same cooking times, you can also shred them all and use them for your potato soup. Remember that cooking times must be the same for all types of pasta you will use.
There are two ways to serve this soup: brothy or blended. We love to serve it brothy, with all the pieces together but you can decide to go for the blended version. To do so, just puree about half of the potatoes in the soup to thicken it and you’ll get a rich and extremely creamy homemade potato soup.
Ingredients for 4 portions
- 500 grams of potatoes
- 200 grams of pasta
- 100 grams of center-cut bacon
- 1 celery stalk
- 1/2 onion
- 1.5 litres of hot water or vegetable stock broth
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- Chop the celery and onion and fry them in 2 tablespoons of oil together with the bacon cut into strips.
- Add the diced potatoes and about 1 litre of stock or water. Let it cook, adding more hot liquid if necessary, until it reaches the point where the potatoes have to cook enough time to allow the pasta to cook.
- Add the pasta, possibly short, and cook to the desired consistency.
- Allow to cool and serve adding fresh parsley if desired.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
Tips to Perfect Potato Soup
- You can make this soup vegetarian: just ditch the bacon and you’re done! To give flavour to the potato soup add spices!
- Make it gluten free by using gluten free pasta;
- Top each serving with cheddar cheese, if you like;
- Make sure you’ve the right amount of potatoes: if you have too many or too little potatoes it will change the consistency and the taste;
- You can store your soup WITHOUT PASTA in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Just reheat it, add pasta and serve;
- Add sliced chorizo or Italian sausage for a real kick!
More Italian Comfort Food
If you’ve a craving for Italian comfort food, you may give these recipes a go:
- To survive winter nights, make this indulgent Chocolate Cake in a Mug;
- This cacio e pepe pasta from Rome will satisfy your desire for pasta and cheese;
- Nothing beats a lasagna!