The no-bake cheesecake is the ideal summer dessert which can be served at lunch, dinner or as a treat at any time; it is the simplest version of the classic cheesecake that nowadays comes in many different varieties. Given that it needs no cooking, it is often confused with an ice cream cake; however, it differs from this dessert in that it has a creamy topping. Americans call it a no-bake cheesecake precisely because none of the ingredients requires cooking.
Cheesecakes can be prepared with or without the use of gelatin: if you choose to use it your cheesecake will firm up more rapidly and hold its shape for longer whereas without gelatin it will take more time to become firm and lose its consistency a lot quicker.
There’s more than just one cheesecake recipe but the one here is the simplest of all: a biscuit base on which cream cheese is spread (plain or flavored), then left in the refrigerator to chill.
Even though it may seem like fast isn’t a word you’d associate with cheesecakes, in reality, preparation times can vary considerably based on the type of refrigerator you have and also on how firm you want your cheesecake to be.
DISCOVER THE RECIPE FOR MY QUICK AND SIMPLE CHEESECAKE, THEN CARRY ON READING TO THE END TO FIND TIPS ON HOW TO PREPARE YOUR OWN CHEESECAKE AT HOME!
Ingredients for a 20cm baking tin
- 250g biscuits
- 70g melted butter
- 450g cream cheese at room temperature
- 150g caster sugar
- Juice of half a lemon
- 340g fresh whipping cream
- ¼ tsp organic vanilla extract
- Finely crumble the biscuits, cover in melted butter, then add a pinch of salt. Mix well until the biscuits have completely absorbed the butter. Spread the mixture onto the bottom of the baking tin, pressing down well, and then flatten with a spoon. Leave in the refrigerator to chill while you prepare the cream;
- Whisk together the whipping cream, cream cheese, sugar, lemon, and vanilla extract until you have a smooth, mousse-like cream (for the first few minutes whisk at a medium speed, then at a lower speed and finally use a faster speed to obtain a good consistency and body).
- Spread the cream on the biscuit base covering it completely: you can smooth it off or leave it as it is. Place in the refrigerator until the cream is firm, usually a minimum of 6 hours.
Preparation time: 7 hours
Tips to prepare a quick and easy no-bake cheesecake at home
- Always use graham crackers because if you use buttery biscuits the cheesecake will be too heavy;
- The preparation of the cream for the cheesecake could also be done by hand but if you use your hands, the foaminess of the cream, essential in a cold cheesecake, will be reduced significantly;
- Martha Stewart adds condensed milk to the cream to give it a more compact and smooth texture: condensed milk, however, has a peculiar taste that could annoy. Moreover it is an extremely richer and fatty ingredient compared to cream;
- Be careful not to over-whip the cream: the cream, in fact, tends to increase the volume of the cream but if you use too much of it, becomes butter and compromises the cream for the cheesecake. I advise you to always whip at the same average speed if you do not want to have problems;
- The cream cheese must be at room temperature, otherwise, it will be difficult to work with the other ingredients;
- You can replace the spreadable cheese with Greek yogurt for an even stronger flavor;
- Remember that, especially in summer, this no-bake cheesecake can stay out of the refrigerator for a maximum of 30 minutes and should be cut and served immediately as soon as it is removed from the refrigerator to prevent it from breaking;
- You can serve your cold cheesecake alone, with fresh fruit, jam or chocolate;
- The cream of your cheesecake can be filled as desired with fruit, chocolate pieces, various aromas according to taste and season;
- The cold cheesecake can be kept in the refrigerator for 4-5 days but after a couple of days the base will start to become softer; the base can be prepared 2 days in advance and then filled with cream.