No-Bake Apple Cake
This No-Bake Apple Cake, also called apple omelet, is an excellent example of how with a few ingredients you can create a really unique dessert. It’s a really simple and poor recipe, great to be made for adults and children and the ideal snack when you do not know what to eat.
The peculiarity of this apple pie in the pan is that the egg whites are stiffly whipped and then incorporated into the mix of apples and other ingredients; this gives the cake an incredible thickness and softness but, above all, makes it light and easily digestible.
I add a lot of lemon and limoncello which give a truly unique taste: you can avoid and choose one or the other so as to obtain a less lemony cake.
Once prepared, this no-bake apple cake is kept well for 2-3 days in a glass dish, losing its flavor gradually; if the system is inside a plastic bowl, it tends to take a bad smell and produce mold quickly.
For an even more wintery flavor, I suggest you add a pinch of cinnamon and sprinkle the surface with cinnamon flavored sugar: ideal to take to the table at the weekend, to fully enjoy the slowness of the moment.
Ingredients per a cake in a 26/28cm pan (10in)
- 3 apples
- 50 ml milk
- 3 egg whites
- 1 lemon
- 5 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- powdered sugar
- 1 small glass of lemoncello
- Cut the apples into thin slices after having removed the peel. Season with 2 tablespoons of sugar and the limoncello, then squeeze the lemon and add it to the apples.
- In a bowl mix flour, baking powder, milk and 2 tablespoons of sugar. Mix the mixture with the apples then beat the egg whites in a bowl and add them to the rest of the ingredients.
- Heat the oil in a pan then pour the mixture, cook it like an omelet turning it halfway through cooking and, once removed from the heat, sprinkle with icing sugar and serve.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
[Pics by Giuseppe]