New Year’s Eve 2023 in Dublin: Useful Information
Spending New Year’s Eve in Dublin is considered one of the funniest and most bizarre things to do: the proverbial desire to have the fun of the Irish is unleashed to the full-on December 31 but, unlike other European cities, many are the Irish who choose to escape from Dublin, leaving New Year’s Eve in Dublin to tourists who flock to the city. So do not be surprised to find swarms of tourists in every corner: Dublin is left in the hands of tourists while the Irish tend to leave the city or to celebrate at home or in their local pubs, just to avoid chaos and crowds. In this guide, I’ll give you all the info you need to plan your trip to Dublin for New Year’s Eve.
If you need to organize your trip to Galway and Ireland and you are looking for local support directly from Ireland, get in touch with us. Sign up for the newsletter and contact us via email to tell us about your trip to Ireland and ask us everything you need.
New Year’s in Dublin: What’s Going On
For New Year’s Eve 2023, a party will be organized in Dublin. 6 events are set to take place over 2 days in the heart of the city on the 31st December and 1st January.
New Year’s Eve in Dublin: Events and More
These are the three main events:
- Family New Year’s Eve Matinée Moment: Share a magical moment on New Year’s Eve together with family and friends at the very special New Year’s Eve Matinée show;
- Countdown Concert with Midnight Moment: Picture This will headline this year’s Countdown Concert at Dublin Castle with very special guests Lyra and Ryan Sheridan. The Countdown Concert starts at 8 pm with excitement building to a crescendo as the clock strikes 12;
- New Year’s Eve Street Party: the New Year’s Eve Street Party will be celebrated at St. Stephen’s Green South. The stellar lineup featuring Hothouse Flowers, An Emotional Fish, Cathy Davey, Frances Black and Something Happens.
You will need a ticket to take part in the different events.
1st January in Dublin: Events and More
- New Year’s Afternoon at the iconic Dublin Castle: Soak up the festive atmosphere and enjoy entertainment for all the family including pop-up street performances to keep little people of all ages entertained;
- Music in the Square in Meeting House Square: Enjoy performances from our great live performers and enjoy the festivities as it becomes a hive of activity filled with free, family-friendly entertainment;
- New Year’s Day Concert: Gavin James will take to the stage for a spectacular show in Dublin Castle for the New Year’s Day Concert. Gavin James will be joined by special guests True Tides, Erica Cody, and Brad Heidi.
You will need a ticket to take part in the different events.
Where to sleep in Dublin for New Year’s Eve
The prices in Dublin are crazy all year round but New Year is one of those periods, along with St. Patrick on March 17, during which they rise even more. Once you’ve booked the flight, the most important thing to do is to find accommodation. Where to sleep in Dublin for New Year’s Eve? The choice of hotels, holiday homes, bed and breakfasts is huge: the more central you decide to stay, the higher the prices and the availability can be scarce. These are my advice on areas where to stay in Dublin on New Year’s Eve, easy to reach by taxi and also by foot:
- Smithfield: It is not one of the most beautiful areas of the city but it is convenient to get to the city by Luas (the metro) and there are a couple of interesting alternatives to sleep in. Be careful in the evening if you’re on foot;
- Sandymount: located in the south of Dublin, seaside area. A residential neighborhood with lots of b&bs and accommodations;
- Ballsbridge: like Sandymount, slightly closer to the center;
- Grand Canal: the new area of Dublin is ideal for staying in a quiet area not far from the center. Very high prices.
How to organize your New Year’s Eve in Dublin
- Wear layers: the weather can change a lot from one minute to the next and can be very unpredictable. The Irish sky often changes the tone and you’ll need lots of layers to avoid suffering from the cold or heat. Take a waterproof coat, even in summer, and avoid umbrellas.
- If you want to use public transport get yourself a Leap Card for Visitors (you can buy these at the airport), load it up and use for all your trips in Dublin and also in metropolitan zones;
- If you intend to visit lots of attractions get hold of a Dublin Pass which gives you access to attractions at a discounted price or lets you jump the queue (very useful at the Guinness Storehouse) and you can use the Hop On Hop Off bus to go from one place to another in the city.
- Plan your visits by taking into account long queues and changes in opening and closing times. Read this article and find ideas and plan things to see in Dublin if it’s your first time in the city.
New Year’s Eve 2023 in Dublin
Dublin’s New Year celebrations for 2023 haven’t been confirmed yet.
Taking place across two days. In the night of the 31st, Dublin’s iconic Custom House gets completely illuminated, top Irish musicians rock out at the Countdown Concert, and spectacular fireworks displays light up the sky at midnight.
A lot of great attractions such as the Guinness Storehouse stay open to provide with fun and entertainment; pubs are generally filled with people dancing, singing, and having fun.
Is it worth spending New Year’s Eve in Dublin?
Dublin is certainly the ideal destination for those seeking fun on New Year’s Eve but for the same reason, it can become chaotic and difficult. Even visiting the surroundings during the New Year period could be difficult given the presence of so many tourists. So Dublin really is an ideal destination for New Year’s Eve but it is not a suitable destination for everyone, especially those looking for a bit of true Irish spirit.
Travel to Ireland: a few resources for you
If you’re planning to book a giveaway to Ireland, these are a few resources we recommend:
- Booking.com – Book accommodation safely, without paying a deposit, and get 100% reimbursed if you cannot travel (terms and conditions apply). Click here for more information.
- EuropCar – Rent a car to travel and avail of a special discount and special conditions. Click here for more information.
- GetYourGuide – Book the best experience in Ireland and visit the Emerald Island at its best. Click here for more information.
Best Ireland Travel Guides
If you want to plan your trip to Ireland, these are the travel guides we recommend:
Get in touch with us for customized tours, travel tips, itineraries, and everything you need for your trip to Ireland: no one better than those who live on-site can advise you and make you experience Ireland like a real local.
[This post contains affiliate links, which means that we may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link.]