Marble Cake Recipe
If you’re looking for the best marble cake recipe ever, here you are. This is our foolproof recipe to make this cake at home.
In fact, the marble cake is one of the simplest and most typical Italian recipes ever: every time we make it, we cannot help but think to our grandmothers.
It is a cake made of light dough and a dark chocolate mix, which blends and produces a very impressive optical (and taste) effect.
The peculiarity of this cake is that it can be prepared both in the classic and gluten-free version using gluten-free flours and approved ingredients and the result does not disappoint in either of the two versions.
Although traditionally this easy marble cake only contains flour and chocolate, you can add some chocolate drops to make it a bit crispy. You can also prepare it in a classic zippered mold or use a donut mold.
When people ask us to describe this marble cake recipe, we usually answer by using the following words:
You don’t need to buy a marble cake mix for this recipe, and you will easily spot the differences between a cake from a box and this one which is not dry, not bland and it’s definitely not boring.
The secret for this cake is the vanilla cake recipe to use as its base: we prepare a vanilla cake batter and make half of it chocolate. Easy, straightforward and so so quick.
If you want to bake a traditional marble cake, you don’t need any frosting: in fact, this cake is perfect as it is, and it’s famous because it is extremely easy. No frosting needed, just a traditional cake.
Let’s move into the recipe, so to make this versatile and decadent marble cake at home.
Ingredients for 24 cm mold
- 500 grams of self-raising flour
- 150 grams of butter
- 100 grams of sugar
- 4 eggs
- 100 grams cocoa powder
- 1/2 glass of milk
- Mix the softened butter and the sugar in a bowl until creamy and then mount the eggs firmly in a separate bowl.
- Pour the flour, the yolks, and the milk into the buttercream and when the various ingredients begin to blend, add the fluffy whites and beat everything with an electric whisker.
- Butter the mold and turn on the oven at 200° then divide the mixture into two bowls. Pour the cocoa powder into one of the bowls and mix well. It is possible to add more cocoa to your taste.
- Pour the two mixtures alternately and each time with a spoon try to form concentric rings. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes (more or less, depending on the oven) at 180°. Allow to cool inside the oven with the open door and serve cold.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 1.2 hours
Total time: 1.3 hours
Marble Cake: Tricks and Tips
- Once prepared, the cake can be stored in a large box with hermetic closure or in a cake holder where it will stay good for about 5 days;
- The cake can also be prepared and portioned then frozen to be consumed at need, thaw it at room temperature by pulling it out in the evening and eventually heating it up for a few minutes in the morning;
- You can also change the flavor and create your own marble cake with strawberries, fruits, and every other ingredient.
On the BBC site, you can find an even quicker recipe: all the ingredients (except the cocoa powder) are mixed using a food processor and then the mixture is divided into two parts and in one, you need to add the cocoa powder. Check the recipe here.