Italian chocolate and ricotta crostata
The ricotta and chocolate tart is a sweet and quick enough Italian recipe that has a peculiarity that you should not underestimate: you can prepare it in winter and treat it like a classic pie or in the summer and put it in the fridge, considering it almost a cheesecake. In either case, the result is really excellent and the effort to do is minimal.
If it is stored in a refrigerator, it will last for 3-4 days; if not, it will last for a maximum of 2-3 days but remember to keep it covered to prevent it from overheating too much.
This chocolate and ricotta pie can be made with sheep’s ricotta but also with cow’s ricotta and instead of the chocolate drops you can safely use chocolate cream. Although this tart is better prepared by using chocolate drops, you can replace them with pine nuts, dried fruits or even raisins.
This recipe is one of the many you can make by using the same concept: the Italian crostata. A crostata, almost always translated as pie or tart in English, is a traditional Italian cake mostly made using the homemade pasta frolla, shortcrust pastry, and then filled with jam, chocolate spread, fresh fruit or also ricotta cream. The crostata will always be one of the most amazing cakes, the one you wanna have at home for your family and for yourself no matter the fillings.
If you’re looking for a tart style Italian cake, I recommend you check my recipe for the perfect pastiera, a typical Neapolitan cake baked for Easter or the pasticciotto cake from Apulia, not a tart but equally amazing.
Ingredients for a 20cm crostata
- For the shortcrust pastry (pasta frolla)
- 300g of all flour
- 150g cold and unsalted butter
- 150g sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- For the filling
- 200g of chocolate drops
- 400g of ricotta cheese
- 140g sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon di cannella
- Icing sugar
- Prepare the dough by kneading all the ingredients to form a smooth dough and put it into the fridge for about 30 minutes.
- Prepare the cream by working the ricotta cheese with a spatula and adding the chocolate drops almost to the end, taking care to mix everything with a spatula.
- Take the pastry and put it in the cake for good. Pour the ricotta cream over the surface and cover with the remaining pastry.
- Bake at 170 ° for about 40 minutes then let it cool and dust with icing sugar.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
[Pics by Giuseppe]