How to Make Arugula (or Rocket) Pesto
Pesto is one of the most famous Italian sauce and in its traditional recipe it’s only made with pine nut and basil. If you’re into pesto you can try a different version of this, the arugula pesto or rocket pesto.
The method is exactly the same of the classic one but the difference is made by the arugula and its peppery bite which is tempered by oil, Parmesan and pecorino cheese.
You can use this pesto for your pasta but also on slices of bread, whole wheat crackers and as a topping for your salad.
What you need for 4 portions of arugula pesto
200g of rocket
Pine nuts (add to taste)
1 garlic clove (peeled)
6tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
200g of grated Parmesan (add to taste)
100g of grated pecorino cheese (add to taste)
See salt (add to taste)
How to make arugula pesto
1. Cut the arugula and blend it in a food processor together with the sliced garlic, the pine nuts, Parmesan, pecorino cheese, sea salt. Pour in the oil in a slow, steady stream and process until smooth. Taste and use for your pasta or anywhere you like.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Advices to make the perfect arugula pesto
1. Never use bad quality extra virgin oil because it will affect the final taste;
2. Always use freshly picked arugula and possibly not the already packed;
3. Parmesan cheese is the key ingredient so even if you think it’s just a cheese if you use a different one your pesto will not taste as it should;
4. Store your arugula pesto into the fridge and use it by 2-3 days;
5. If you want to freeze your pesto do it immediatlet after prepared to maintain the quality and flavor and use it within a couple of months at the most.