Homemade eggnog without alcohol recipe
The eggnog is one of the most typical recipes to prepare at Christmas. Despite the appearances, it’s possible to prepare a delicious homemade eggnog without alcohol, by using a different recipe compared to the one you use to prepare the traditional one.
The secret is to use good ingredients and, most of all, mix all of them correctly so to have an eggnog with the right consistency. If you follow the recipe word by word, you’ll get a creamy, smooth and thick non alcoholic eggnog perfect for kids as well, and delicious.
To make this alcohol free eggnog, I opt for cooking the eggs so to give them a better consistency and, most of all, to avoid any problem: in fact, alcohol is well known because of its ability to kill bacteria but if we avoid the booze, we need to make sure our eggnog won’t kill anyone. That’s why I cook it.
Also, I don’t whisk my ingredients by hand but I use a blender so that my eggs will become fluffy and all the ingredients will be perfectly mixed. This is a cold eggnog and for this reason, lasts for 3-4 days in the fridge if stored in an airtight container; I suggest you take it out of the fridge 20.30 minutes before serving it so to bring it to an acceptable temperature.
How to make a light eggnog
Is the eggnog without alcohol healthier than the traditional one? Is it lighter?
Yes and no. It’s healthier because there’s no booze but in reality, it’s full of sugar and this means it’s everything but light. If you want an healthier and lighter eggnog without alcohol, I suggest the following:
- Replace full-fat milk with almond or oat milk;
- Do not use cream;
- Use honey instead of sugar.
In this recipe, I use full-fat milk and also cream. I don’t filter the eggnog before putting it in the jar but if you want to eliminate any residuals, you can definitely do it. You just need to use a narrow mesh strainer.
Ingredients for 6 people
- 6 raw eggs
- 480 ml of whole milk
- 225 grams of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg
- A dash of vanilla extract
How to make a perfect alcohol-free eggnog
- In a kitchen blender, add the milk, egg yolks, sugar, ground nutmeg, and ground cinnamon, and then blend until smooth;
- Pour the mixture into a deep pot and heat over medium heat;
- Cook the eggnog until it starts to thicken making sure the mixture gets hot but doesn’t boil;
- Once the eggnog has thickened, turn off the heat, and stir in the vanilla extract;
- Pour the mixture into an airtight container and place in the fridge to chill for 6-8 hours;
- Sprinkle with a little cinnamon (and whipped cream if you like it) and serve.
Preparation time: 15 minutes + cooling down time
Homemade eggnog without alcohol tips and tricks
- Do not use milk or cream that is near its expiration date, as your eggnog will also expire soon;
- If you want, you can use the same recipe to make a cooked classical eggnog. Add the alcohol after the mixture has been cooked, replacing vanilla with booze;
- If you like spicy things, you may add a clove, some pepper, star anise or anything you want.
More Christmas’ Drinks
These are 3 easy drinks you can make at home for Christmas. They will warm your house and will make you feel like in a winter wonderland!