Heart-Shaped Jam Cookies for Valentine’s Day
Even if you do not like Valentine’s Day there something you should know: Valentine’s Day is made for lovers of baking and this heart-shaped jam cookies can be your way to evaluate positively the 14th of February.
The main element is a flavored pastry which is then cut into the shape of a heart; the full amount of the heart-shaped cookies is then divided in half and one half is further etched with a smaller cutters, always in the shape of heart.
The final result are these Valentine’s Day heart-shaped jam cookies you can make also if it’s not St. Valentine’s
300 grams of plain flour
150 grams of cold butter
100 grams of powdered sugar
1 egg yolk
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract (or other flavoring)
- Pour the butter and the flour in a mixer and turn it on medium speed;
- Also add sugar, the egg yolk and the vanilla and continue to mix until you get a sandy mixture;
- Work with your hands to get the final dough;
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours then pull out of the fridge and roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface;
- With the bigger cookie cutter cut the cookies in the shape of an heart; from half of the cookies, using the small cookie cutter, cut the shape of a smaller heart (inside the heart);
- Bake at 180° for about 25 minutes or until golden brown and then churn out and let it cool;
- Fill half the biscuits without incision with jam then layer each one with the corresponding biscuit with the incision;
- Dust with icing sugar and serve.
Preparation time: 45 minutes + cooling time
[Pics by Giuseppe]