Easy Bourbon Eggnog
Eggnogg, what a celestial name! One of the recipes it’s hard to forget at Christmas, with its richness, its flavor and also the scent. Do you know cream of whiskey? Well, the eggnog has an even more peculiar flavor and it totally screams Christmas. It’s one of those recipes that are prepared only in December and Christmas and that for this reason represents this time of the year at its maximum power.
It is called eggnog because it contains raw eggs; it is the addition of alcohol which acts as a preservative and also as a sterilizer so even though raw eggs are used and one can think of jeopardizing one’s health, in reality, the presence of alcohol guarantees that the product is safe to drink. It is no coincidence that the eggnog is prepared even months before and left to “age” so that the liquor penetrates the mix and at the same time preserves it correctly.
It can be made with brandy or bourbon, with the last one adding something special to the whole mix.
The issue of aging is often debated: the recommendation is always to prepare the liqueur at least one day before serving, so that when resting it thickens and becomes creamy and spongy. Doing so is not a categorical imperative, but surely an eggnog prepared a few hours before being served is tastier than one prepared and served instantly.
To look at it, the consistency is similar to that of a very creamy mousse with a particularity: the addition of the egg whites fixed to stiff snow makes this drink light and fresh while if you want to make it more creamy just add fresh whipped cream.
The particularity of this drink is that it should not be prepared using the electric mixer to make first because the cream should not be mounted; therefore it requires commitment and time to be repaid with a soft and delicate cream to be enriched with cherries in syrup, raspberries or whole berries.
If you wanna try the real eggnog with bourbon, this is the recipe. Below this, you will find some useful information to prepare a really incredible eggnog.
Ingredients for for 6 people
- 6 raw eggs
- 600 ml of fresh cream (not whipped)
- 480 ml of whole milk
- 225 grams of sugar
- 120 ml of bourbon
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg
- Keep all the ingredients in the refrigerator (except for vanilla and nutmeg!). Start preparing the eggnog, by beating the egg yolks until they become frothy;
- Add the sugar and continue to beat always by hand and then add the egg yolks, vanilla extract, and freshly grated nutmeg and beat until these ingredients are also mixed with the rest;
- Pour firstly the unmounted fresh cream, continuing to beat and then do the same with the milk;
- At the end add, still flush and still continuing to whisk with a hand whisk, add the bourbon and whisk until you have obtained a cream that is not too liquid or too firm;
- Refrigerate for a couple of hours and serve cold.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
Easy Bourbon Eggnog: tips and tricks
- If you prefer to prepare a cooked eggnog, heat the milk and the cream in a saucepan over medium heat until they start to boil. Meanwhile, whisk the egg together in a separate bowl. Slowly beat the warm milk in the eggs, then bring the mixture over medium heat and continue to cook, stirring gently, until it thickens at the right point or according to your taste. Serve immediately adding the liqueurs or let it sit for up to 3 days before serving, adding the alcohol before serving the drink. To increase the softness of the eggnog, add whipped cream and add it to the drink before serving;
- You can prepare a more alcoholic eggnog simply by adding more bourbon or by adding rum, but with a care: because the palate may not be obvious, the eggnog can actually be very dangerous. Being fresh and sweet, it is difficult to perceive the degree of alcohol so it is good to pay attention to how it is prepared and how it is used to avoid unpleasant problems;
- This eggnog is not a light drink and getting rid of alcohol and sugar is not possible for one simple reason: it would not be eggnog if it were not so rich;
- Add 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract and more milk or cream for the alcohol-free version.