Croque monsieur: original French recipe
The croque monsieur is a typical French sandwich that is considered a gourmet product especially because the use of quality ingredients can really make a difference.
It is a sandwich in which cheese dominates over the rest of the flavors and at first glance it might seem like a simple grilled cheese sandwich if it was not for all the cautions that are added, for example the use of béchamel.
The recipe that I follow comes from the French chef Michel Roux Jr who as a first thinglightly grinds the bread; you can skip this and go directly to the second stage with the bechamel which can be prepared at home following this recipe or can be purchased ready.
Warning: the croque monsieur does not come with the egg on top, which is instead added in the Madame Croque.
Croque monsieur: ingredients for 4
For the béchamel
1 teaspoon of flour
400 ml of whole milk
For the sandwich
8 slices of bread
2 tablespoons butter
280 grams of grated cheeses
160 grams of ham
Croque monsieur: recipe
- Prepare the bechamel sauce by following this recipe and using the ingredients above. Turn the oven to 180°.
- Grate the bread lightly and then take 4 slices of bread and butter one side of each slice, sprinkle it with plenty of mustard as well.
- Add a generous layer of béchamel sauce followed by grated cheese and cooked ham.
- Add a second slice of bread on each of the four by slightly pressing and then pour the more béchamel and more grated cheese.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes until golden and serve hot.
Preparation time: 30 minutes