Chocolate apple cake
The chocolate apple pie is a delicious and simple variant of the classic apple pie that we prepare at home. It’s ideal for winter evenings when it’s cold and maybe you need a cake that consoles you and then, instead of preparing the classic apple pie, you can fall back on this chocolate option that surely delights in taste.
Unlike the classic apple pie, the chocolate one tends to stay slightly wet inside because we use a slightly higher quantity of milk otherwise the dough would be too heavy.
As with the classic apple pie, the same attention applies to chocolate too:
- The egg whites are to be mounted in the snow, otherwise they will dwindle and the mixture will be too liquid;
- Since chocolate is heavier than flour, it is necessary to mix well so that it will amalgamate with the rest of the ingredients;
- Eggs should always be used at room temperature;
- To prevent the apples from remaining on the bottom, go over the pupae to the bitter cocoa before putting them into the dough. Keep in mind that this way your apple pie will have even more flavor of chocolate;
- This apple pie is preserved for up to 3 days because, over time, chocolate begins to lose flavor, and apples also begin to deteriorate.
Follow this recipe and you’ll get a perfectly balanced and delicious chocolate apple cake, best served warm for a great pleasure
Ingredients for a 22 cm pan
- 700 grams of apples
- 3 eggs
- 50 grams of unsalted butter
- 300 grams of flour
- 200 grams of bitter cocoa powder
- 150 grams of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda/yeast
- 1 glass and half of milk
- Juice of a lemon
- Peel the apples, cut them into thin slices and wet them with lemon juice.
- Mount the egg whites and in a different bowl whisk the yolks with the sugar.
- Combine the two compounds and mix them together for good.
- Add the powdered flour, the bitter cocoa and the butter cut into cubes. Pour the milk and baking soda and continue to beat at low speed until a homogeneous and smooth mixture is obtained.
- Incorporate the apples into the dough leaving some slice aside. Grind a medium-sized mold, sprinkle it with sugar then pour the dough by leveling it for good.
- Cover with some slice of apple and bake for 25 minutes at 200°C/392°F then for 5 minutes at 180°C/356°F.
- Remove from the oven once it is ready, turn it over a grating and let it cool down. Serve it cold with or without icing sugar on the surface.
Preparation time: 1 hour (but it depends on your oven!)
The apple pie is a classic. If after trying this recipe you want to try other simple and fast cakes, here is my suggestion for you:
- Marble cake: click HERE for the recipe;
- Chocolate and ricotta tart: click HERE for the recipe;
- Chocolate cake with cream: click HERE for the recipe;
- Brownie cheesecake: click HERE for the recipe.
[Pics by Giuseppe]