Cauliflower tortillas – Gluten Free & Paleo Wraps
We Italians don’t have tortillas in our diet but we’ve something similar called “piadina” which is from Emilia Romagna. The piadina or tortilla is made with flour but what if you want to make it in a different way you can use the cauliflower to prepare a perfect tortilla at home.
It is a vegan and vegetarian (and gluten free as well) recipe that very goes well with vegetables but it’s also so versatile you can accompany with meat and cheese as well.
What you need for 4/6 cauliflower tortillas
1 medium cauliflower
Salt as needed
Black pepper as needed Pepe nero al bisogno
1. Cut the tops of the cauliflower into pieces and blend them with a robot until they are completely crushed.
2. Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper and pour over all the cauliflower; bake at 140°C (284°F) for about 10 minutes so that it will reach a slightly dry and mealy texture.
3. When cool, pour the cauliflower in a bowl, add the egg, salt and pepper and mix well with a fork or your hands until you will have a soft dough.
4. Heat a frying pan and, once hot, take a tablespoon of dough, form a ball and lay it into the pan extending it for good in order to get a large tortilla of about 12 cm.
5. Allow to cook on each side until it is golden and then with a spatula place the tortillas on a grill or on a baking sheet to make them cool. Serve warm and stuffed.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
[Pics by Giuseppe]