Candied orange peel dipped in chocolate
Candied orange peel is the perfect sweet treat; it’s a classic Sicilian treat that everyone can make at home with a really simple and (fairly) quick recipe. For us, this is the best way to enjoy the fruit and the chocolate as well, in a very unique dessert. If you’re looking for the best recipe for candied orange peels covered in chocolate, keep reading: after having tried and tried, we’ve now found the perfect recipe we wanna share with you.
These candied orange peels dipped in sauce or sugar are perfect for Christmas and they also make up for a great gift.
This is our foolproof recipe to make dipped candied orange peel: above the recipe, all the secrets and the tips you need to make sure your peels will be perfect!
Ingredients for 50
- 200 grams / 7 ounces of orange peels
- 200 grams / 7 ounces of caster sugar
- Water as needed
- 1 dark chocolate bar (100 grams / 3.5 ounces)
- Peel the oranges while being careful not to break the peel;
- Cut the peel to strips by doubling them so they are all pretty similar;
- Skim the skins in boiling water for 2-3 minutes, repeating this operation for 4 times, changing the water every time;
- Drain the peels and in a large frying pan pour the sugar and water to the need (at least 200ml). Add the orange peels and let them cook for 30 minutes;
- Remove the peels from the pan and let them cool. Place the syrup in a bowl;
- Once cooled, melt the chocolate in a bain-marie;
- Dip each peel halfway into the melted chocolate and place on a parchment-lined baking tray until set.
Preparation time: 3 hours
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Total time: 3.5 hours
Tips on how to make your candied orange peels
- Choose organic oranges because the peel is the part you will use to prepare this sweet and it is good to be more “pure” possible;
- Choose dark chocolate to a minimum of 70% to make the orange stand out;
- Choose caster sugar to not cover the orange flavor;
- Choose cane sugar to give your oranges a peculiar flavor;
- Keep the candied oranges in a refrigerator and use within 3 months;
- You can freeze your candied peels before dipping them: you will have to thaw them in the fridge and soak them in chocolate at a later time.
To make these chocolate orange peels you do not need special skills, only passion and some time; the result is a really simple sweet treat which will leave you with a smile.
How to use candied citrus
- As a garnish for pies, cakes, and cupcakes
- Chopped up and added to cookies, muffins, cupcakes, etc.
- As a garnish for citrus-flavored drinks
- Dipped in chocolate for an elegant sweet treat
- and whatever else your imagination can think of!
Candied orange peel: Video Tutorial
Watch this our step-by-step video of candied orange peel recipe