Top 6 Portable Ice Makers of 2021
Having an ice maker at home can be a worthwhile investment if you live in an area where it can get scorching, or if you host a lot of gatherings at home. Surprisingly, ice makers for home use are one of the most searched and bought appliances Worldwide.
In this buying guide, we’ve selected the top portable ice makers of 2021 for home and also for outdoor use. The models we’ve tried and selected are easily movable around, can be placed on your countertop or in a car, an RV, a camper van, making them the perfect appliances for a hot summer.
You can navigate the list by using the following table of contents or keep reading for insights on how to choose the best ice maker, tips and advice, and a selection of ice machines.
- What is an ice maker?
- How does a portable ice maker work?
- How long does it take to get ice?
- What is the best ice maker to buy?
- Ice Maker: Frequently Asked Questions
What is an ice maker?
As the name suggests, an ice maker is an appliance that produces ice. It is also called an ice generator or ice machine, and it can found inside a home freezer or as a stand-alone appliance. Ice makers for home are also known as portable ice makers because they can fit on a countertop.
How does a portable ice maker work?
By adding water to the machine, the icing process starts immediately. The majority of countertop ice makers cannot hold freezing temperatures, and this means that they make ice but cannot store it. If unused ice melts, the machine will recycle it to create a new batch of ice.
How long does it take to get ice?
As soon as you turn on the machine and add water, the ice starts getting formed: on average, it takes 10 minutes to get the first batch of ice and a bit less once the circle has begun.
What is the best ice maker to buy?
Whatever your needs, this list of the best ice makers of 2021 will help you find the most suitable option.
1. Frigidaire EFIC101 Portable Compact Ice Maker
The Frigidaire EFIC101 Portable Compact Ice Maker is ideal for use in small kitchens and also other small spaces, even on the go. It can produce about 26 pounds of ice a day, it doesn’t require installation, and it is equipped with two LED control panel that allows you to choose from 2 ice size settings. It’s able to produce nine cubes of ice every 7-15 minutes. When you are done, the drain plug allows you to drain and clean your ice maker quickly and safely.
2. Igloo ICEB26BK Portable Countertop Ice Maker
Igloo ICEB26BK Portable Countertop Ice Maker is a compact ice machine that will allow you to get 26 pounds of ice every day and get your ice ready in as little as 7 minutes. The most significant feature of this machine is the storage: in fact, it can store up to 2 pounds of ice at a time! The LED indicator lights illuminate and let you know when the ice basket is full and when to add water to the water tank. It’s available in different colors to suit your needs.
3. Euhomy Ice Maker Machine
If you’re looking for a bigger countertop ice maker, this Euhomy Ice Maker Machine is perfect. It can make up to 40 pounds of ice cubes every 24 hours, meaning about 24 ice cubes every 12 to 18 minutes. It’s equipped with a timer to schedule ice production with up to 8-hour delay. When there is not enough water in the water tank or when the ice bucket is full, the LED indicator will light up. The removable ice basket stores up to 2.2 liters of water and contains a recycling system, collecting melted water and filtering it to be reused, ensuring that no water is wasted.
4. hOmeLabs Portable Ice Maker Machine
hOmeLabs Portable Ice Maker Machine is compact, and it can make up to 26 lbs. of ice per day with its 2.2-liter water reservoir. Ice cubes are ready in about 6-8 minutes, and they can be of a small or medium size. A water reservoir sits below the ice basket and reuses water from the melted ice to make even more ice.
5. COSTWAY Ice Maker Countertop
COSTWAY Ice Maker Countertop is small enough for most countertops and easy to carry with. Equipped with a high-power compressor, this ice maker produces nine ice cubes within only 6-13 minutes and up to 26.5 pounds of ice per day. The panel on top of the machine will remind you to take out the ice cubes when the basket is full and inform you to add the water when the ice maker lacks water. Available in multiple colors.
6. Igloo ICEB26HNAQ Ice Maker
The Igloo ICEB26HNAQ Automatic Self-Cleaning Ice Maker is perfect for people looking for an easy to use and powerful portable ice machine to use at home or outdoor. It can produce 26 pounds of ice in 24 hours and nine small or large cylinder-shaped ice cubes in as little as 7 minutes. One of the best features of this machine is the automatic five cycle cleaning function. The electronic control panel lets you know when you need to add water when the ice basket is full and allows you to choose the size of the ice cubes.
Ice Maker: Frequently Asked Questions
1. How do I clean an ice maker machine?
Unless you have decided to buy a self-cleaning ice machine, make sure you clean your tool regularly. Simply unplug the ice-maker, empty it, and rinse it down carefully with a soft towel. Next, clean it with some vinegar, using cotton swabs to get any hard-to-reach corners or spots. Rinse it again with water, dry it, and let it sit.
2. Whare the things to know before buying an ice maker?
Before you buy a countertop ice maker, there are a few things you need to take into account.
- A countertop ice maker won’t keep your ice frozen: Portable ice makers are meant to be used to get immediate ice and not to hold it. There are a few models that can keep the ice for a few hours, but if you have this need, you should look into getting an under-the-counter machine.
- You need to check your space before buying: Measure your space and decide what type of ice maker you can buy. If you plan on using your countertop ice maker on the go, make sure you have space on your RV or camper van, or you will end up not being able to bring the appliance with you.
- You need to check on the production capacity: Even if you don’t need to produce ice during the day continuously, it’s good practice to understand how much ice you’re likely to have in 24 hours and how much ice can be produced by your machine. More expensive and bigger models provide more ice in a day, but in general, if you can get an ice maker that produces more than 20 pounds of ice a day, you are all set.
3. What’s the size of a countertop ice machine?
On average, a portable ice maker is similar to a bread machine in terms of sizes. You can also find bigger and smaller tools, so the choice depends on the space you have to fill and the amount of ice you need.
4. What type of ice do portable ice makers produce?
The majority of portable ice makers produce cylindrical ice of various sizes. Some produce opaque ice, other crystal-clear ice. The most advanced or expensive models allow you to choose the size and the shape of your ice.
5. Can I use my portable ice maker outdoors?
Yes, you can. Make sure there is a power source available near to you and enough space for your machine to work. In a very hot climate, the portable ice maker may take more time to produce ice and may also produce less ice.
6. Do I need a filter for my ice maker?
No, portable ice makers don’t require a filter to work. But a filter can be useful if you want to produce pure and good ice, avoiding bad smells and bad flavor. It may be an even better idea to buy a water filter to avoid the problem and use it also for drinking water.
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links, which means that we may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link.