Apple roses with puff pastry
I’m sure you’ve come across this amazing and yet simple dessert which comes in many variations, all similar and all amazingly delicious! They’re called apple roses and the only things you need to make them at home are shop bought puff pastry, apples and cinnamon.
The recipe is really simple but it’s a good idea to stick to the following rules to make them work:
1. Don’t touch the puff pastry too much or it will lose its crispness when cooked;
2. Before cooking the apple roses, they’ve to stay in the fridge for 5 minutes to make them really crispy;
3. When cooking, the apples need to be moistened with some liquid: most people use butter, I prefer 1 tablespoon of orange juice every single apple;
4. To keep the shape, cook your apple roses into muffin’s molds so that the dough, cooking, does not open too much.
What you need for 6 apple roses
1 puff pastry sheet (300 grams)
2 red apples
2 tablespoons of orange juice
2 tablespoon of sugar
3 tablespoons of raisins
1. Cut the apples in half, remove the core and cut the apples in paper thin slices leaving the peel. Place the apples in a pan with the orange juice, the sugar and the raisins and let them cook for about 10 minutes, until soft. Once cooked, leave them rest.
2. Cut the dough in 6 strips and spread the jam on the dough. Place the apples and the raisins on each strip of the dough, fold up the bottom part of the dough and finally roll sealing the edges;
3. Place the apple roses in the muffins’ molds and put them into the fridge. Preheat the oven to 200°;
4. Bake at 180° for about 40 minutes being sure they will not get burned. Let the roses cool then sprinkle with cinnamon and enjoy!
Preparation time: 1 hour